Thursday, February 3, 2011

CNY 2011

Yes, it is the day of the year again where the all Chinese are celebrating the new year. The thing is that I wasn't all that sad and mushy or feeling homesick about it which I find it a little weird being that I have always been looking forward to this day ever since when I was little.

Why am I not feeling excited about it this year? Is it because that I have already accepted the fact that I would be missing a whole lot of things in CNY? I won't be getting the angpows, eating the huge variety of cookies, the sweet mandarin oranges, and also the crispy prawn crackers, visiting relatives and friends and not to forget, shopping! None of those for this year and probably, for the next few years to come.

Maybe my excitement was drained away by the midterms, projects and assignments. Knowing that I have so much to do might have shifted my focus to work instead of CNY. Or could it possibly be the atmosphere here? The fact that there were no CNY decoratives in the streets, not even a CNY advertisement seen and plus, the people around me who would be talking about CNY are just so few that the "Oh, I can't wait for CNY!!!" statement did not even ring a bell in my head.

In facebook, my friends have started wishing me and tagging pictures of CNY during the last week in the month of January. Some of them have even started wishing me by the end of January. I was sure that CNY was around the corner but not I wasn't exactly sure about the exact date..Because of the unclarified date, I had almost believed that it was CNY on 31st January when one of my friends said that "Hey, today is CNY! Not doing anything special?" I was like "CNY is today?" It was pretty clear that I am not even sure when CNY was because I didn't even care to know or more in precise, I didn't even think of CNY until then.

Eventually, I have clarified the exact date with my mum and a few of my friends in skype. When I got to know that CNY falls on the 3rd February, the first thing that I did was to check my planner if I was having exams or assignments due...HAHAHA! Even though I did not have the enthusiasm in me for this year's CNY, I know that deep down, I would want to celebrate it if I am still in Malaysia.

Looking back at my previous post on CNY last year, I sounded really excited and I even remembered every detail of what had happened..HAHAHA! And, this CNY post is such a contrast to it.

Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year and happy holidays to those who are fortunate enough to celebrate CNY with excitement and joy! :)

6 comments:

Aliff Ahmad said...

Happy Chinese New Year Pauline :)
May the year ahead brings you prosperity.

Pauline said...

Thanks, Aliff! :D
happy holidays to you!

jityang said...

yay~~ i m the fortunate one... tq so much HAHAHAHA :D

Pauline said...

hahaha..be grateful then. :P

Patricia said...

pity u. how could u even not know when is CNY?! lol. anyway really wish that u were here for CNY! >.<

Pauline said...

seriously, i didn't know. :P
being that, i am not in malaysia, it should not be so surprising.