Friday, May 7, 2010

Embracing My Tradition and Culture

I am a Chinese but not all that 'Chinese'. Well, I consider myself a 'banana' for not knowing how to communicate in Mandarin. There are people who regard people like me as a disgrace to the Chinese community. It's saddening to know that. T_T

However, I feel proud to be a Chinese though. After watching Ip Man, I got this feeling like I actually do belong to my own roots. No matter after watching the 1st or the 2nd Ip Man movie, I always get this very amazing feeling. Both movies were in Cantonese, a dialect that I am fond of actually. I was glad that it was in Cantonese or else, I wouldn't really get the whole meaning of the movie. FYI, some subtitles suck and I mean it.

While some people find it tough speaking in English, I find it so hard to even think of a Chinese word to fit in the sentence I have in my mind. While some people feel embarassed participating in English class, I quit the Mandarin class in my primary school after attending a few classes only. While some people feel pathetic for having a very weak command of English, I feel embarassed for not even knowing my own language. I realize that I am more of a loser compared to those who have tried hard in mastering other languages.

I gotta admit that I wasn't brought up in a totally Chinese-speaking family. But then again, I do practise my tradition and culture like most Chinese families. Chinese New Year is a big event in my family. I like to know more about my culture. I have interest in knowing the history of my own race too. It's just that I felt all these made me more like a Chinese. :)

Due to that, I'm still trying to pick up Mandarin. I really wonder how long will I take to finally able to speak Mandarin. I really wonder..haha.. XD Most young people don't want to embrace their own tradition and culture. Honestly, I don't wanna be like them. I think everyone should be proud of their tradition and culture. It defines one's background. So, be happy and grateful of who you are!

3 comments:

Pauline said...

OMG! I have the exact same thought too.the 'cina spirit', i think..hahaha..XD

Kent Room said...

Dunno leh...for me English is tougher...haha...=)
I think my English is same standard with ur chinese gua...

Patricia said...

Pauline: i kinda knew that you might felt the same way too! :D
Kent Room: no la. i think your english is better. :)