Monday, August 9, 2010

Debating?



During my schooling years, I was never looked up as a very confident person. I was more of a girl who likes to keep her opinions to herself and afraid to voice it out. I guessed the turning point of this passive behaviour was when I decided to try out to be a prefect in secondary school. My sister and I didn't want to be prefects initially but after thinking.. we somehow agreed on this decision. As for me, the main reason for this was to seek for a change since I've never been a prefect in primary school.

Being a prefect didn't change me instantly though. I gotta admit that I wasn't the ideal prefect for a few reasons. Personally, I felt that it was because I wasn't strict and even if I tried to be, people laughed at me. My problem of not being able to project a loud voice adds on to the list. Plus, I have difficulties in pronouncing some words as well. :(
I tried improving myself then. I felt that I didn't really accomplished my goals in my secondary school as I still doubted myself in almost everything I did. But, it was then I was aware that I will have to make a difference. I have always wanted to do something great in life even until today. XD
In matriculation, it was kinda like a chance for me to develop myself to be brave. I had to be strong anyway because I was no more staying with my parents. Then I realized that I had a little 'Pauline' in me. Lol. After all, we are twins! She is like one the persons with the strongest personalities I've seen.

Lately, I have participated in a debate competition. Yea, you read it right. A debate competition in UKM. People who have known me long enough would have been in a shock knowing this especially my highschool friends. This was my first time trying debating. I took this as an opportunity to see how much I've improved.
I think I did a fairly "okay-okay" job. My team lost for the first two rounds but we managed to win at least once. My teammates were good in their own ways. I was proud that I finally got the nerve to speak up. Hehe.

I felt that what I'm today is a far cry from what I was in school. Would I even dare to take part in a debate competition in school then? I doubt it.

As long as we wanna improve ourselves, we will soon see the improvement in ourselves. The picture above shows some of the debators from my college.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

i don't consider myself that great..haha.
you have grown as far as i know..:)

Patricia said...

Honestly, u are kinda great to me. U did play a role in influencing me ;D